Slide

Friday, December 23, 2016

Christmas Cookies // Part 3_Flooding Royal Icing

Well, the third and final part of our Christmas cookie series is here! Today I'll talk a little about the technique of flooding royal icing. I'll also give y'all some ideas for decorating sugar cookies. I hope you enjoy!

~ Flooding Royal Icing ~

Materials:
  • Water
  • To decorate you'll want to use a piping bag instead of a knife (I explain why below).

If your going to decorate your sugar cookies using flooded royal icing, then I'd suggest using a piping bag. A knife will work for royal icing at regular consistency, but flooded, it's a little too runny to use a knife.
 First you'll want to color the icing. If you flood the icing, then color it, you risk the food coloring changing the consistency of the icing.
To actually flood the icing, you simply add water in (very) small amounts until you reach your desired consistency. I'd suggest adding water a teaspoon at a time. In the picture above I've reached the perfect consistency. 
 The icing is runny...
...but still holds its shape for a few seconds. If your icing becomes too runny (because of too much water), add more powdered sugar to balance it out.
 Now fill the piping bag with the icing.
  Then twist up the top, or tie it with a rubber band. Now your ready to decorate!
First, outline where you want the frosting to go. You don't want to get too close to the edge, of the icing will run of the side of the cookie.

Next fill the outline.
Then smooth out the icing using a toothpick. Since the frosting is "flooded" the creases will disappear after a few seconds.

 Now I'll show a few of the cookies I decorated, to maybe give you some inspiration for decorating your own. :) 

I hope you enjoyed this Christmas cookies series! I sure enjoyed making the cookies! I'm planning to do one more post before Christmas- talk to you then! 

•••••••
I hope you try this technique! If you do I'd love to hear about it or see pictures! You can follow The Kitkat Studio by email if you want to receive a notification right in your inbox every time we post! Be sure to come back soon! And a very Merry Christmas! ♥Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ Comments make my day! ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...